|“||Whope, hold up, let me guess: Takes the most handsome slash best pilot of the bunch?||”|
The Blue Lion is the Lion that forms the right leg of Voltron. The current Blue Paladin who pilots the Lion is Lance until Zarkon's initial defeat and Shiro's mysterious disappearance, when Allura overtakes piloting the Lion after Keith is chosen to pilot the Black Lion and Lance is chosen by the Red Lion. Its original Paladin was Blaytz.
The exact origin of the Blue Lion is unknown. It can be assumed it was created at least ten thousand years ago after King Alfor created the Black Lion from the material found in the comet that crashed into Zarkon's home planet. After Zarkon's betrayal of Alfor, the Lions were scattered and the Blue Lion was hidden on Earth for ten thousand years. Carvings on the cave walls suggest sapient people were aware of the Lion's presence in the past.
Weapons & Abilities
The Blue Lion is a well-balanced and confident fighter in damage, armor, and speed, making it have no specific expertise in normal combat. It is said to be the friendliest Lion and the most accepting of new pilots.
- Claws: At each of the Lion's paws, tough enough to damage armor of a Galra warship.
- Tail Laser: Mounted at the tip of the Lion's tail and moderately damages targets at long range.
- Mouth Cannon: Mounted within the Lion's jaws and severely damages targets at long range.
- Jaw Blade: Summoned at the Lion's jaws, a blade used for cutting targets at close range. It can be tossed like a boomerang.
- Force Field: When stationary, the Lion can activate an impassible energy sphere to encase and protect itself. The force field will react to a chosen Paladin and dissipate, or be willingly disengaged by the Lion.
- Speeder: A small transportation vehicle unique in design for its Paladin to traverse environments; the speeder drops from the Lion's chest, and is stored in the Castle of Lions when the Lion is not in use, transporting the Paladin to the Lion when needed.
- Thrusters: Mounted on each of the Lion's back legs and on all four paws; these powerful engines are used for initiating flight, increasing speed, or slowing descent.
Once Voltron is formed, the Lion allows a weapon to be summoned when combined with a Bayard. The nature of the weapon depends on the Paladin wielding the Bayard, not the Bayard or Lion itself. When multiple Bayards are combined with respective Lions, the summoned weapon is upgraded into a more powerful form.
The Blue Lion has an affinity with the element of water and has increased mobility in water, is built to withstand high water pressure, and can navigate easily through ice, making it the most ideal for aquatic combat. The Lion has a Freeze Ray that can be fired from its mouth and freeze enemies solid It is able to unlock a Sonic Boom Cannon on its back that can shoot high-frequency sound-waves to disorient enemies, disturb uneven terrain, or scan enemy bases. Lance awakens this ability through his desire to defend himself against the Baku.
Like all Lions, the Blue Lion possesses some measure of sapience. It has moved on its own to allow Lance to enter its body, readily accepting him as its Paladin at first meeting. Through his mental connection to the Blue Lion, Lance is able to understand its suggestions on the next course of action during a battle.
- If all Lions are built to standard, the Lion can be entered and exited through the mouth, the top of its head, or through its chest with its speeder. The Blue Lion is known to have an emergency eject function to drop passengers from the cockpit floor.
- Unlike the Black Lion, which has a dual-bladed Jaw Blade, the Blue Lion's Jaw Blade is only a single bladed weapon.
- The Blue Lion is the second to use its elemental affiliation of Water when it freezes a Galra Structure melted by the Red Lion, so the debris will not harm the Balmera.