|Previous: The Rise of Voltron||Next: Return of the Gladiator|
Some Assembly Required
A Rude Awakening
[Most Paladins are sleeping peacefully, sans SHIRO and KEITH. The alarms in the Castle of Lions start to blare, rousing every Paladin but LANCE, who is sleeping with headphones on that are playing peaceful music. The awake PALADINS rush towards the Bridge of the Castleship.]
- ALLURA: "Everybody up! Zarkon's attacking! The Castle's about to be destroyed! Go, go, go! We need Voltron now!"
[ALLURA and CORAN are in the Bridge.]
- ALLURA: "Hurry! We can't survive much longer!"
- CORAN: "You've got to sell it a little bit more."
[ALLURA hands CORAN the microphone.]
- CORAN: "Oh, no! Allura is dead! Aaaah! it's horrible! Her head fell off! Wait! What? Her severed head is trying to speak to me! What is it, Allura's head? What are your final words?"
- CORAN: "Oh, yes, Princess, I'm listening."
- ALLURA: "It's over."
[CORAN sees SHIRO, KEITH, HUNK, and PIDGE have entered the Bridge.]
- CORAN: "—Oh! Time!"
- SHIRO: "I guess this isn't an actual attack."
- CORAN: "Seventy-five degrees. Oh, sorry. No, this is a meat thermometer."
- ALLURA: "However long it was, it was too long. You must always be ready to do battle with Zarkon. Look at you! Only Shiro is in uniform. Keith, Pidge, Hunk, where are your Bayards? And where is Lance?"
[LANCE enters the Bridge, yawning and looking well-rested.]
- LANCE: "Good morning, everybody. What's going on?"
- ALLURA: "Coran and I have been up for hours getting the Castle back in order. We had to run a test on the alarms, and we decided to test you as well. Guess which one failed."
- HUNK: "Hey!" [Yawns] "You got to sleep for 10,000 years, man. Monday night, I was on Earth. Now, I've flown through space, fought some evil alien named Zarkon, eaten goo in some weird Castle. That's a lot to process in, uh... I don't know. What day is today?"
- CORAN: "It's the third quintant of the Spicolian movement. Hump day!"
- HUNK: "—It's a lot to process."
- ALLURA: "You must understand the stakes of our mission."
[ALLURA brings up a map of the universe from the Castleship's computer and displays the amount of distress beacons.]
- ALLURA: "Over the last 10,000 years, the Castle picked up distress beacons from the following locations. So, we have to assume that Zarkon has conquered almost the entire known universe."
[ALLURA moves the map to the Milky Way where it appears barely out of Zarkon's reach.]
- HUNK: "Oh no..."
- ALLURA: "Exactly. Our mission is to free all those planets. Coran and I are getting the Castle ready to leave Arus. During that time, you have to learn to form Voltron, so we can begin fighting Zarkon."
- SHIRO: "The Princess is right. Let's get to our Lions and start training."
- PIDGE: "Wait. But I want to talk to the prisoners we rescued from the Galra ship."
- CORAN: "Ah, negative, Number Five. I have you ranked by height, okay? The prisoners need to remain in the cryo-replenishers until tomorrow."
- ALLURA: "That's right. Now, get to your Lions."
[The Paladins head to their Lions, donning their armor before traveling by zip-line. HUNK's zip line stops.]
- HUNK: "Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on? What's going...?"
[HUNK falls from his own weight and the zip-line continues without him. HUNK slides down the shaft slowly.]
- HUNK: "Aw, come on. You've got to be kidding me."
[The Paladins reach their Speeders that take them to their Lions. HUNK is late to arrive and drop from the zip-line hole, so his speeder takes off without him. He groans in frustration.]
[Outside the Castle of Lions, the other Paladins wait for HUNK.]
- LANCE: "... Should someone go in after him?"
[The Yellow Lion finally arrives.]
- HUNK: "Hey, sorry, everybody. Seriously, though, can't they park these things, like, a little closer to the Bridge?"
- SHIRO: "All right, guys. Let's just fly in tight formation until we're totally in sync."
[ALLURA appears on SHIRO's screen.]
- ALLURA: "Feel the bond with your Lions and your fellow pilots until five become one unit and you form Voltron!"
[The Lions take off, flying in sync.]
- PALADINS: "Yeah! ... Yeah! ... Yeah!"
[The Paladins become less enthusiastic.]
- PALADINS: "... Yay..."
- HUNK: "Whoo... Am I the only one who's still pretending to be excited?"
- SHIRO: "Clearly, this isn't working. Let's set down for a little bit."
- SHIRO: "What do you mean?"
- LANCE: "Like a cheerleader pyramid?"
- KEITH: "You got a better idea?"
- SHIRO: "It's worth a try."
[The Paladins stack their Lions on top of each other, but the Yellow Lion is at the top.]
- HUNK: "What do you mean?"
- SHIRO: "You're supposed to be the leg, over there."
- HUNK: "What? No. No, no, no. I'm pretty sure that when we did it last time, I was the head. Right?"
- LANCE: "You yelled, 'I'm a leg!'"
- HUNK: "Yeah, I was yelling a lot of things."
- HUNK: "All the time?"
- SHIRO: "Let's just try it my way for now."
- HUNK: "Okay, but next time I call head."
[The Paladins stack the Lions properly, SHIRO carefully hovering the Black Lion above the others until it stands on top of them.]
- SHIRO: "Okay. Arms and legs... and I'll form the head. Feel the bonds with your Lions. Now, channel your energy into forming Voltron. Focus... Focus..."
- SHIRO: "Is everyone bonding and focusing?"
- LANCE: "Why was this so much easier before?"
- SHIRO: "Let's take a break."
[ALLURA appears on everyone's screen from the Command Room.]
- ALLURA: "Sorry to interrupt, but I may be able to help. Yesterday, you weren't able to form Voltron until you were in the heat of battle."
- PIDGE: "Yeah."
- LANCE: "I'm listening."
- SHIRO: "You're right."
- KEITH: "Yeah, I guess."
- ALLURA: "Perfect. Because I need to run a diagnostic test on all of the Castle's defenses. This should help!"
[The Castle of Lions fires blasts from its particle barrier, bombarding the Lions. The Paladins scream and flee.]
- LANCE: "Okay, go, go!
[ALLURA smiles at KEITH from his screen while he is running from explosions.]
- ALLURA: "Running a diagnostic test on the Castle defenses and inspiring you! I believe in you, Paladins! Let fear be your guide! Form Voltron!"
- LANCE: "Oh, forget this! I'm heading back to the Castle!"
[LANCE pilots the Blue Lion towards the Castleship, dodging the attacks, but is thrown back by the particle barrier. HUNK dodges the bombardment.]
- HUNK: "Please stop! Please! Have mercy on us!"
[ALLURA is on HUNK's screen.]
- ALLURA: "You think Zarkon is going to have mercy on you? He's probably on his way right now to destroy us all!"
[ALLURA presses a button on the Castleship's computer screen and walks away.]
- COMPUTER: "Auto-lock-on engaged."
[The Castle of Lions auto-fires at the panicking Paladins.]
- ZARKON: "You have returned early. Did you complete your mission?"
- Galra Commander: "Sir, the moon's crust became unstable. Staying any longer would have cost half my crew."
- ZARKON: "Hmm, perhaps, but the half that survived would have been stronger. Weakness is an infection. Better to cut it off than let it spread."
[Galra sentries grab the terrified GALRA COMMANDER and drag him away.]
- HAGGAR: "I have been working on perfecting something. Something that will strike fear into the hearts of any that stand against it. Voltron may have surprised Sendak, but he will not be able to overcome my creation."
Old and New
[The Paladins, except SHIRO, lay exhausted on the couches of the Castle Lounge. ALLURA and CORAN enter.]
- ALLURA: "Are we at full power on condenser number five yet?"
- CORAN: "No, still just 84 percent."
[ALLURA looks happy to see the Paladins.]
- KEITH: "No. The shooting stopped and the particle barrier shut down, so we just flew in."
- ALLURA: "What?"
- CORAN: "Oh, right. Uh, sorry, Princess. I had to turn off the Castle defenses to test the fire suppressors."
- SHIRO: "What are you guys doing in here? We're not taking a break."
- PIDGE: "I'm not going back until I find my family."
- CORAN: "Well, I'm not surprised. You know, the original Paladins fought hundreds of battles together, side-by-side. They were like a pack of Yalmors linked at the ears."
- LANCE: "Wow. Yeah, that's definitely not us."
- CORAN: "During the last attack, your survival instincts forced you to work as a team, but that will only get you so far. You'll have to become a real team to have any chance of forming Voltron and then beating Zarkon next time. You should try working out on the Training Deck."
- HUNK: "There's a Training Deck?"
[At the Galra Empire's Central Command, HAGGAR enters a dark cell where MYZAX is held.]
- HAGGAR: "I think I have the opportunity you've been waiting for. How would you like to get your revenge against the Champion?"
[MYZAX growls and smiles.]
[The Training Deck illuminates; CORAN clears his throat to check his microphone.]
- CORAN: "Two, two, one, two. Okay, listen up, guys. The Paladin code demands that you put your team members' safety above your own. A swarm of drones is about to attack. It's up to each of you to do everything you can to protect the other members of your team."
[Altean drones appear; KEITH and PIDGE form shields.]
- HUNK: "Wait, wait, wait. What's going on—Whoa!"
[HUNK's shield forms.]
- HUNK: "Did you guys get one of these?"
[SHIRO and LANCE form shields.]
- SHIRO: "Get ready."
[The Altean drones fire lasers. HUNK dodges and PIDGE is struck, dropping into a hole that opens up underfoot.]
- CORAN: "Protect your teammates or no one will be there to protect you!"
[HUNK is struck and drops into the floor. SHIRO, KEITH, and LANCE huddle back-to-back to defend themselves.]
- CORAN: "Time to increase intensity."
[The drone fire becomes rapid.]
- KEITH: "Just concentrate on keeping me safe."
- LANCE: "Me? I own this drill. You're the one who needs to concentrate."
[The drones fire at their heads. SHIRO and KEITH dodge, but LANCE is distracted and does not. He lifts his foot to avoid being shot, and KEITH is shot instead, disappearing into the floor. LANCE tries to defend SHIRO but is struck himself, so SHIRO ends up struck. Both fall through the holes in the floor. CORAN facepalms but continues to the next test: an invisible maze. LANCE stands inside the maze.]
- CORAN: "To form Voltron, you must trust in each other. This ancient Paladin maze will teach you that trust. Your teammate can see the walls, but you cannot. So, listen carefully. If you touch the walls, you'll get a slight shock."
- LANCE: "Wait. Who's guiding me through?"
[KEITH speaks through LANCE's helmet using a microphone.]
- KEITH: "Take two steps forward."
- CORAN: "Now, just sit tight. You'll get your turn."
- KEITH: "Like I said, take two steps forward, turn right, and take three steps that direction."
[LANCE only turns right and hits a wall, getting shocked.]
- LANCE: "You did that on purpose!"
- KEITH: "You're not listening."
- LANCE: "You said, 'Turn right.'"
- KEITH: "But, before that, I said, 'Take two steps forward.'"
- LANCE: "Two steps—"
[LANCE steps in the wrong direction and gets shocked again.]
- LANCE: "We're switching places right now!"
Eyes of a Lion
[The team is flying their Lions through the sky for the next test. CORAN speaks to them from the Castleship's Bridge.]
- LANCE: "No problem. Me and Blue are best buds for life, for real."
- CORAN: "Perfect! Then you won't have any issues with this exercise. Everyone, put your Lions into a nose dive! This is an expert-level drill that you really shouldn't attempt until you've been flying for years, but, uh, we're in a bit of a rush, so here we go."
- CORAN: "Activating training helmets!"
[Dark visors appear over each Paladin's helmet. LANCE screams.]
- CORAN: "You must learn to see through your Lions' eyes. The goal is to pull up right before you crash into the ground. Feel what the Lion feels!"
- HUNK: "Mine feels scared!"
[HUNK panics and pulls out of the dive right away.]
- KEITH: "You know it. You?"
- LANCE: "Going? I'm speeding up!"
[LANCE speeds up his dive.]
- KEITH: "Oh, yeah?"
[KEITH speeds up his dive.]
- LANCE: "Must be getting close."
- KEITH: "Must be."
- LANCE: "You getting scared?"
- KEITH: "I'M NOT SCARED!"
[KEITH loses his temper and speeds ahead; both crash into the ground with their Lions half-buried. The Blue Lion rolls away.]
- KEITH: "Ow..."
- LANCE: "... I win."
[SHIRO and PIDGE are still in a nose-dive.]
- PIDGE: "What was that noise? Did they crash?"
[PIDGE panics and pulls out of the dive, but hits a cliff. SHIRO remains in a dive with his eyes closed and is able to connect with the Black Lion seeing what it sees. He pulls out of the dive last-second and flies through several rocky areas without using his own eyes.]
- SHIRO: "I think I'm getting this."
[The Paladins sit in a circle in the Training Deck with special headsets on as CORAN speaks to them over the intercom.]
- CORAN: "Now the most important part of Paladin training is being able to meld your minds and focus on one thing: Voltron. Everything else has to fade away. This technique will be essential every time you form Voltron."
[A screen depicting the thoughts of the Paladins appears before each one. KEITH thinks of his desert shack. LANCE thinks of his family. HUNK thinks of food. PIDGE thinks of the photograph HUNK found on Earth of "Pidge" and a girlfriend, but the image is obscured. SHIRO thinks of the Kerberos Mission launch.]
- CORAN: "So, relax and open your mind. No walls, no secrets between Paladins. Come on, everyone, clear everything. Now, focus on forming your Lion."
[The Paladins, sans PIDGE, form their images into their respective Lions and move them to form Voltron.]
- CORAN: "Bring your Lions together a-and form Voltron. Keep your minds open, work together. Good! Keep focusing! Only one to go!"
[The Green Lion has not appeared. PIDGE's mental image remains static-filled; KEITH notices.]
[PIDGE's mental image disappears.]
- HUNK: "I-I thought we were open. You can look in my head hole."
- CORAN: "Everyone has to be able to look in everyone's head holes! Clear your minds!"
[The Paladins try again. This time, PIDGE is able to manifest the Green Lion. The mental Lions move together.]
- CORAN: "Good! Almost there."
[The mental Lions begin forming Voltron.]
[PIDGE snaps in frustration and throws the headset off.]
- PIDGE: "I'm done with this! Look, I don't like everyone grubbing around in my head!"
- PIDGE: "I'm just... I'm just tired, okay?"
- SHIRO: "Okay. Let's take a break."
The Tyrannical Princess
[CORAN hands all the Paladins packs of fluid to drink as they sit and relax.]
- CORAN: "You have been working hard. Maybe it's time to relax a little."
[ALLURA stomps over.]
- ALLURA: "What are you doing lying around? You're supposed to be training!"
- CORAN: "Just resting a bit. Y-You know, you can't push too hard."
- ALLURA: "What do you mean, 'can't push too hard'? Get up, you lazy lumps! It's time you faced the Gladiator!"
[The Paladins stand with their Bayards formed in the Training Deck.]
- CORAN: "In order to defeat the Gladiator, five paladins must fight as one."
[The Gladiator robot drops from the ceiling wielding a polearm staff.]
- HUNK: "Hmm? Whoa!"
[HUNK panics and is knocked out of commission. PIDGE fights the Gladiator robot but is also knocked out. LANCE meets the same fate, being tossed into KEITH and leaving them both sprawled on the floor. The Gladiator rushes SHIRO, triggering a memory. SHIRO freezes. KEITH launches himself from the floor to block the Gladiator's attack on SHIRO.]
[SHIRO does not respond. The Gladiator knocks KEITH into SHIRO, sending them both to the floor. The fight ends. ALLURA approaches.]
- ALLURA: "That combat simulator was set at a level fit for an Altean child! You're not even close to working as a team, let alone ready to face Zarkon!"
Allura the Terrible
[The Paladins sit in the dining hall before a table of food goo and other strange food. CORAN stands nearby.]
- CORAN: "Ahoy, young Paladins! I've whipped up a big batch of focusing food. After this meal, you'll be forming Voltron six times a movement and twice on the astral conflux!"
[CORAN pulls out a remote and presses a button. The Paladins are handcuffed together on each arm.]
- LANCE: "Hold the phone!"
- CORAN: "I saw a lot of solid individual performances today, but you're still struggling to work as a team. So, welcome to the final bonding exercise of the day."
[HUNK tries to free himself from LANCE, then tries to free himself from SHIRO. Both attempts fail.]
- CORAN: "Oh, this one's a classic. You get to feed each other, like a pack of Yalmors!"
[A the Galra Empire's Central Command, HAGGAR turns MYZAX into the Galactic Gladiator Robeast. At the Castle of Lions, ALLURA has joined the Paladins for dinner. The Paladins struggle to eat. LANCE flings HUNK's food goo on accident.]
- HUNK: "Ow!"
- LANCE: "Sorry."
[HUNK tries to eat again; LANCE's fingers end up HUNK's nose and mouth. LANCE pulls away.]
- LANCE: "Ew! Ugh..."
[LANCE is pulled back over by HUNK, causing him to pull KEITH's hand into LANCE's plate of goo.]
- LANCE: "Oh, nice. You defiled my food goo!"
- KEITH: "It's your fault! This is ridiculous."
[ALLURA growls in frustration.]
- ALLURA: "Do Earthlings ever stop complaining?"
- SHIRO: "Can't you just give us a break? Everyone's been working really hard today."
- KEITH: "Yeah! We're not some prisoners for you to toy with, like... like..."
- LANCE: "Like a bunch of toy prisoners!"
- CORAN: "—You do not yell at the Princess!"
- PIDGE: "Oh, the Princess of what? We're the only ones out here and she's no Princess of ours!"
[ALLURA flings a spoonful of goo at PIDGE. PIDGE and KEITH glare at her.]
[KEITH flings a bowl full of goo at ALLURA. CORAN blocks the attack and tosses a huge scoop of goo all over the Paladins.]
- HUNK: "Oh, it's on now."
[Everyone throws goo at each other until they begin having fun and laughing.]
A Team Bonded
[The fight leaves Allura exhausted in her chair. The Paladins laugh.]
- ALLURA: "Enough! Do you see what you're doing?!"
[The Paladins are silent and apprehensive. But ALLURA smiles at them.]
- ALLURA: "You're finally working together as one!"
- KEITH: "Hey, she's right!"
- LANCE: "I actually don't hate you right now."
- HUNK: "You guys thinking what I'm thinking?
- PALADINS: "Yeah!"
- HUNK: "Actually, I was thinking dessert. But, yeah! Let's do it!"
[HUNK cheers but ends up making the Paladins fall over as they are still handcuffed. The Paladins all successfully make it to their Lions. SHIRO takes the controls of the Black Lion.]
- SHIRO: "Everyone ready to do this?"
[PIGDE takes control of the Green Lion.]
- PIDGE: "Roger that!"
[LANCE takes control of the Blue Lion.]
- LANCE: "It's on!"
[KEITH takes control of the Red Lion.]
- KEITH: "Yes, sir!"
[HUNK takes control of the Yellow Lion.]
- HUNK: "I was born ready!"
- SHIRO: "Then let's go!"
- PALADINS: "Yeah!"
- ALLURA: "I told you I could get them to do it. They just needed a common enemy."
- CORAN: "It's true. Like the old proverb says, 'A man can be driven to do anything, if a beautiful woman is just really, really mean to him.'"
[ALLURA looks unamused. In the Castle Lounge, the Paladins recount their success.]
- LANCE: "Man, that was cool! I'm so charged up, I don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight."
- KEITH: "Not me. When my head hits the pillow, I'm going to be lights out."
- HUNK: "I just want you to know that I realized when we were in Voltron, we're brothers, man. You know? Like, we're totally connected. No secrets, no barriers, no nothing. Brothers all the way. I love you guys."
- KEITH: "G-forces mess with your head a little bit?"
- HUNK: "Yeah, maybe a little. I-I don't know. It's been a tough few days."
[The Paladins head to bed, sans PIDGE. SHIRO stops.]
- PIDGE: "In a minute."
- SHIRO: "Good work today. We're really coming together."